Chef Jose Mendin of Pubbelly was crowned the Prince of Porc at the 6th Annual Cochon 555 Miami on Sunday, Feb 9th at the Four Seasons in Brickell.
This epic porc event is over 1200 pounds of heritage pig packed with 100% flavor!
This year’s competing chefs are Jose Mendin of The Pubbelly Group, Conor Hanlon of The Dutch, Bradley Herron of Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink, Dena Marino of MC Kitchen and Host Chef Aaron Brooks of EDGE Steak & Bar. The five chefs, champions to the pig, will battle it out in a friendly competition by preparing a maximum of six dishes each created from one whole heritage breed pig to win votes from a crowd of hungry gourmands and celebrated judges.
The pack of judges who will select Miami’s “Prince or Princess of Porc” include:
• David Thomas, The Bazaar
• Tony Guerra, Citrus Miami
• Cesar Zapata, The Federal
• Nick Betancourt, Extraordinary PR
• Todd Erickson, Haven Gastro Lounge
• Darren Brass, Miami Ink
• Jose Santiago, Miami Ink
• Jamie DeRosa, Tongue and Cheek
• Elad Zvi, Freehand
• Timon Balloo - Bocce Bar
• James Strine - Cafe Boulud
• Steve The Chowfather
• Gio Gutierrez, Chat Chow TV
The winner will go on to compete in the Grand Cochon at the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen in June for bragging rights as the "King or Queen of Porc” and a four-day wine experience to Rioja, Spain’s most prominent wine region.
A 1200+ pound showcase of heritage pig carved into 30 chef-prepared dishes will also include:
• The Goose Nest, an area featuring the Vintage Ales of Goose Island Beer Co. paired with Hudson Valley Foie Gras.
• Live butchering demonstration at the Pop-Up Butcher Shop, benefiting Johnson & Wales University with the support of Williams-Sonoma.
• Different ages of Prosciutto di Parma ranging between 14 and 30 months, sliced by a roaming Berkel and by hand off a bone-in leg.
• Five local barkeeps in the “Punch Kings” cocktail competition presented by Breckenridge Bourbon.
• A welcome cocktail from Four Roses Bourbon.
• The Bourbon Bar presented by Breadcrumb by Groupon featuring Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Breckenridge Bourbon, Hirsch, Templeton Rye and Luxardo.
• Libations include the portfolio of Crispin Ciders table, the Wines of Rioja, Elk Cove Vineyards, Barlow Vineyards, and the infamous Mezcal Bar featuring Fidencio andMezcales de Leyenda.
• TarTare Bar featuring Creekstone Farms and Timon Balloo of Bocce Bar.
• An artisan cheese bar with Rogue Creamery and La Brea Bakery.
• Swine & Sweets signature dessert course featuring Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams.
• A 6th heritage breed pig prepared in a late-night Asian Speakeasy style by Rick Mace of Café Boulud
All guests are invited to visit www.cochon555.com/win and sign up for the newsletter for a chance to win a VIP trip to the Rioja Wine & Tapas Festival in New York City on May 3rd, or more than $3,000 in prizes from tour partners, including a Smart-Scoop Ice Cream Maker fromBreville, a $1,000 bottle of Reserve Bourbon from Breckenridge Distillery, a chance to be a Punch Kings judge and 2 VIP tickets to Cochon 555.
Where: Four Seasons Hotel Miami
1435 Brickell Avenue
Miami, FL 33131
Tickets: $125 general admission and $200 VIP (early admission and premium access to limited experiences, wines and spirits); to purchase tickets visit www.cochon555.com